Sticks and Stones by Abby Cooper is about a girl named Elyse who has CAV, a disorder that makes the names she is called appear on her body. The mean words itch. In elementary school everyone thought CAV was cool but starting in middle school the condition gets worse because mean words increase and nice words decrease. The book is about how she deals with her problems and ultimately succeeds.
1. Where did you find the book? I found this book at the library.
2. What did you love about the book? I loved how Elyse pushed through CAV and didn't let it stop her from achieving her goals.
3. What turned you off about the book? I did not like that Elyse never told Jenny (Jeg) how Liam schemed to become her boyfriend.
4. What is your favorite quote from the book? “Words can never hurt you."
5. Who was your favorite character and why? My favorite character was Olivia because her feelings toward Elyse did not change when she found out that Elyse had CAV.
6. George R. R. Martin famously said that “a reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.” What about this book’s life do you want more of in your own life? I would love to have Jeg's parents who are rich fashion designers
7. If you could have dinner with the author, what would you ask him/her? Did you enjoy writing the book?
8. What scene did you love most? I loved Jeg's party, where every room was a different country, especially when Elyse and Olivia visited the United States room and pretended to surf while singing "Surfin' in the USA."
9. What are you reading next? The Sun is Also a Star by Nicole Yon
10. What rating would you give the book?